Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Strasburg Race: Much better than last Year

Saturday was the Strasburg Race and our first race as the new Chester County Velo - IronHill Team . We had a full compliment of racers SANS arguably our best racer Jim Walls. Right now Jim and Bryan are ahead on fitness and when they turn up the pace I have a real hard time hanging in. So when Jim told me on Friday that he was totally out of it sick I felt bad for him as I thought he had a real good chance for a win. It also meant the strategy to work for Jim went out the door and we had no clear replacement to work for in the 3/4 race. So the plan was hang in and see who felt good in the last 500M and try to line up a sprint for that guy. Turns out Tim, Kyle, Kieth and I ended up in the final pack at the end of the race and Keith in a totally selfless move jumped from the back of the pack and sprinted out. His effort broke apart the pack and allowed Me, Tim and Kyle to sprint to the line in 5th , 7th and 8th... So not bad team results. In the Cat 4 Race Bryan ended up 4th which was another good finish for Bryan and with it he will probably upgrade to Cat 3. Full results

So for an early race it was a good time and actually not as hard as last year. The wind was not bad and it wasn't raining and/or 30 degrees :)..

Its kind of boring to continue positing about training, but if you want to know what I do basically its 6 days a week 10-15 hours a week I ride the bike. In the middle of summer I might even get to 15-20hrs on the bike with 2 races on the weekend. As Cindy will attest to its a big time commitment and when I'm not riding I'm recovering, working or whining about how bad I feel(Sorry Honey). So I would like to thank Cindy for her considerable Patience and Understanding.. I'm sorry I was such a mess on Sunday and not able to go to the Floyd fairness fundrasier.

ADDED (by Cindy): Photos!
Matt took some photos at Strasburg (I didn't attend the race). Obviously, no 3/4 race photos (I'm guessing it's hard to race and get photos). Just click on the photos for a larger image.