Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The cold and wind are sucking the fun out of training

Its been a difficult 2 weeks to be motivated to train. As we all know mother nature has decided to crap all over us with nasty cold weather and gail force winds.. I know it will make you stronger in the end... Well this guy needs some heat. Just as I think I'm starting to ratchet up my fitness I spend a few days in the cold riding for hours and the next thing you know I feel dragged down and pissy. Okay enough whining.

No race last weekend so we did some good team training on the Willowdale training ride on Saturday. Last week was to be a big training week for me so I rode about 15 hours and did hills on my own on Monday and Friday and of course pushed myself on the group training rides on Tuesday and Thursday. This weekend is the Mt Joy race and I hoping to try a couple of offensive moves for the team during the middle laps of the race. The course is very rolling and there is a steep hill(Mt. Joy) right smack in the middle of the circuit. The part that will most likely break the field up is the long descent with the 90 degree turn at the bottom of the hill... Last year there were a few crashes on the 90 degree turn... Needless to say best place to be is up front.

Tonight is the Tuesday night ride and hoping that Trey shows up. He's a local Cat 1 who's extremely strong and always fun to try to match. He can basically crush me in most cases(sprinting, climbing whatever). I spent the last 4 years chasing him on the local group rides and it has done wonders for my fitness. He stopped racing late last year, but I'm hopeful that he will still come out and smack us down and push us.