Friday, May 11, 2007

Turkey Hill (Can you count to 12)?

So I've been feeling good. My fitness is up and I'm able to keep up with most of the "A" list riders in the area. Some of you may have noticed I didn't post about the Tour de Epharata. Well that's because the race didn't go well for the us. In fact on Saturday after the Road Race which ended with massive carnage in the print finish I spent the afternoon in the ER with Jim who got 20 stitches in his eyebrow. We then found out that in the Cat 4 RR Chris Candy broke his collar bone.. So as I said not good.. Personally my finishes were crappy with my best place 17th in the Crit ...

So during the week when I thought about 125 hungry 3/4 guys fighting for the finish at Turkey Hill I decided that it would be best for me to go ahead and do the Pro 123. Another reason to do the Pro 123 was that Tim couldn't get into the 3/4 so I didn't want him have to ride alone. So Tim and I joined Geoff(He's a Cat 1) for some fun in the sun. The race was 125K which was 12 laps on the course, oh and did I mention the last 5 laps they add a hill that's kinda like a small version of Manyunks Wall. I learned a couple of things
  • Don't ride on the right side of the road when the pack starts saying pee-pee wee-wee. Cause that's when everyone who has to take a nature break goes to the right of the pack and goes of the bike... I had to go 50miles into the race, but wasn't brave enough to attempt it
  • Grabbing a water bottle from someone at 20+mph is harder then it looks. Oh and open the top on the bottle it makes them softer and easier to grab.
  • Best advice was from Geoff.. When the pace picks up just go as hard as you can it will eventually slow down.. Of course every lap up the hills on the back side the pace would accelerate. If you fall off the pace you aren't getting back on

It was a great experience and Tim and I both finished were has 40+ riders did not. For my first big road race I was satisfied as most of the top finishers were on Pro Teams(Rite Aid). I was dead the next day and my legs were toast, but a couple of days later I felt good and I know it will payoff later. Hopefully in the Mt Penn Race..